.
October 24th, 2007

Covering Wildfires

• Monday:  We're going to start in Southern California, where firefighters have their hands full...
  • Tuesday:  It's gotten worse – even worse than officials feared...
  • Wednesday:  President Bush made an emergency disaster declaration...
  • Thursday:  A shift in the wind:  It's given firefighters some help...

Leading with California's wildfires four days in a row not only reflects the magnitude of this disaster; it shows how dynamic the situation is.  Covering fires is somewhat like covering a living being – something capable of climbing trees, switching directions, leaping across roads, always leaving its mark behind.

In each day's show, we've tried to give you different perspectives on this event, so that we're not only showing you how it has changed the landscape; we're trying to give you a sense of its effects on almost a million people, on firefighters, on homes, and even on pets. 

What images will you remember most?

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Danielle

I can belive how many homes have been destored by the fire. This one is so much worse than the one last year.

October 25, 2007 at 8:27 am |
  2. Mr. Browder

6B Freshmen Success:

Alex: all the trees burning
    Harrison: all the homes that are destroyed
    Arturos: all the people in the stadium
    Jordan: all the animals being saved

October 25, 2007 at 10:15 am |
  3. Racheal

heyy.
    my teacher's name is mr . harrier will you make and extra credit shout out to him for the country of spain. okay. please?

October 26, 2007 at 11:19 am |
  4. Jordan

I dont even want to think about all the lives ruined. I think your show is the best. In our history class at Sumner High School, we have Azuz time, where we listen to all your awesome jokes. i write down all your jokes so i can use them around my friends. They work awesome. You make the Student News. If you could give a shout out to Miss Slaters 4th period Contemporary World class in Sumner Washington, it would be the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the jokes comin so i can fill my joke book up.
    Kudos
    Sumner High School
    ( please give us a shout out)

October 26, 2007 at 5:14 pm |
  5. Ryan

First of all, I feel really sorry for those who've lost their homes by the fire in CA.

I'd like to rectify a mistake you made in i.d me on Oct 26th. South Korea is located between Yellow Sea and East Sea NOT "Sea of Japan" as you mentioned.

Mr. Azuz, I'm a huge Korean fan of yours. I've post it because I've paid so much attention to your program.

Keep up the great work.

October 27, 2007 at 12:32 am |
  6. Amy

That is absolutely horrible. It's sickening how many homes one fire can destroy. I feel for and am praying for all victims of this terrifying disaster!

October 27, 2007 at 9:07 pm |
  7. CNN Student News

Ryan,
    Thank you very much for your comment.
    Several sources we consulted both inside and outside of CNN refer to this area as the Sea of Japan. However, we understand that the body of water located east of South Korea is also referred to as the East Sea.
    We appreciate your comments and attention to our program.

October 29, 2007 at 7:12 pm |
  8. Dustin

Wildfires in California as well as other areas of the world are always going to bring up devastating memories. Most of those being the vast ammount of wildlife and habitat destroyed by the fires. Also, the number of houses that have been destroyed in current fires. Another remembered image will be that of fire fighters doing all they can to save what they can. Along with that will be what the people are faced with when they have no home to return to. Amoung most things I personally would remember, is images of past fires, and how to stop future ones. It seems every time there is a fire there is never enough that can be done about it to contain it quickly and successfully.

October 31, 2007 at 11:45 pm |
  9. Mrs. Dilley's 3A Dutch Fork High School

Tasneem : This report was a prime example of why matches should be kept away from kids.

Daniel: I think it is good that the kid confessed about the fire he started so that they would know it's an accident. I don't think the kid deserves punishment, though, considering he is a minor and doesn't know a lot better. Hopefully, this fire has helped him learn enough of a lesson.

Lee: I think that little kid shouldn't have been playing with matches. It was really stupid and a lot of houses were burnt down. I think he should have told someone right when it happened.

November 1, 2007 at 1:42 pm |
  10. ffner

i think that all of the wild fires in cali. have been a bad deal. cause lots of land and homes have been burnt to nothing. alot of people are out of a place to live. most of the houses that were burnt were millon dollar homes.

December 13, 2007 at 11:20 am |