.
October 10th, 2007

A Thoughtful Process

Hi, I'm Donna Krache, executive producer of CNN Student News.  Today's First Up story about the school shooting in Ohio is the kind of story that is tough to tell to anyone, but even tougher to present to our student audience.  Each day, we hold an editorial meeting where we talk about the stories we will cover, and the context in which we will cover them.  Today's meeting involved a very thoughtful discussion about how to tell this story, one that we know the students will be talking about.  At times the discussion sounded more like an intense debate. Our writer was concerned about singling out kids who are "different" as "threatening."  Our curriculum manager was adamant that we empower kids by giving them a sense of control over their own safety.  Everyone on staff agreed  that the story is news, and in a daily news program, it needed to be told. 

We are always mindful of our responsibility to present the news of the day to our unique audience and give a lot of thought as to how that is done. 

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. David

It seems like tragedies like these are happening more often. I wouldnt blame the cause of this incedint on security. Schools are suppose to be a place where students feel safe. Communication among teachers and the student body could have probally prevented this occurance. But because of the lack of interaction between the faculty and students a shooting took place. Because of this even that took place students might feel insecure on going back to school and parents are going to want better security at schools.

October 10, 2007 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Ada

I appreciate how careful you are, but I agree with you – significant news must be told, regardless of how abstruse it is. When I watched the video, I didn't dwell on the fact that the shooter seemed to be a different and threatening kid. I was pondering over what the response of the town was.

October 10, 2007 at 11:13 pm |
  3. Ed

Isn't it great to know what goes on in process of putting on the Newsroom Program for our students. Thank you Donna for all you do!
    Not talking about these stories doesn't stop the things from happening! It is imperative that you continue to open the airwaves for our kids to learn, enrich, and develop a way to discuss them even when they aren't wonderful things happening in our communities and our schools.
    Last week a young man was about to commit another "Colombine-like" situation in a school just 7 miles from my home 14 miles from my school. Thanks to a fellow student it was stopped before it happened. I attribute this to an informed student who knew the possible reprocussions of "not telling" or as is said in Philadelphia "Snitching."
    Well, we need to discuss and address these very important happenings in order to make our school safe! Many reports wish to Sensationalize them–we need to discuss them and you did a GREAT job in presenting the facts!

October 14, 2007 at 9:06 pm |
  4. Ryan

I think that there have been an increased numner of shootings through out the united states over the past 5 years. I think this is because kids are able to get guns more easily. I think the age to be able to own a gun should be 21. This ways kids will not be able to get guns while there in high school.

November 2, 2007 at 11:35 am |