October 4th, 2007

Your Opinion: Coast Guard Controversy

On Friday's show, we told you about the two hangman's nooses that were found on Coast Guard properties this summer. If you missed the story, you can watch it here.

Coast Guard leaders are taking the incidents seriously; They've publicly condemned the incidents and have offered race relations training to all staff members at the academy. And while those responsible have yet to be caught, the Coast Guard has ramped-up its investigation.

So, what are your thoughts regarding this controversy? Do you think that the Coast Guard's responses are appropriate?  If you were a cadet and knew who was responsible, would you speak out? And what do you think should happen to those responsible if they are caught? Drop us a line and tell us what you think.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. blake

hey blake here and my opinion on the coast guard racism contraversy is wrong and unfair because no man or "woman" that is serving our country deserves that kinda treatment at all what so ever. they deserve respect for protecting our freedom and our writes in this country. thank you again for letting me voice my opinion and have a nice weekend.

sincereley,
    Blake

October 5, 2007 at 9:43 am |
  2. Mr. Browder

Mr. Browder again with 1A Freshmen Success class:

What should the Coast Guard do???

Jacob: arrest the people responsible
    Alex: : Not arrested but punished (no respect for other people)
    Erik: That is a hate crime so they should be arrested
    Paul: Shouldn't judge people
    Andy: People responsible should be sentenced to death (wow! maybe a little harsh!)
    Grace: Definitely should be kicked out of the Coast Guard

Thanks from Dutch Fork High School in Irmo, South Carolina!

October 5, 2007 at 9:46 am |
  3. Mr. Kennedy's Class

The people responsible should be discharged from the Coast Guard and go to jail for 10 years. The Coast Guard should offer a reward of $20,000 to help find out who did it. They should get the police involved to help the investigation.

October 5, 2007 at 10:15 am |
  4. Brianna

Regarding the Coast Guard controversy, I was highly alarmed by the appearances of two nooses hidden in the possessions of African-American Coast Guard Cadets. I think the Coast Guard reacted appropriately, but why did they not do anything after the first noose? Though the time period between the placing of the nooses was short, the Coast Guard should have reacted immediately after the first noose. After all, this is a profound symbol of hate and implied threat. I think if the person(s) who placed the nooses is caught, he/she should absolutely be arrested and if I was a Cadet who knew of the perpetrater, I would definitely reveal their identitiy.

October 5, 2007 at 5:01 pm |
  5. Danielle

What they should do is not arest, we have to many people in jail anyway. They should make that person see consuling and do a couple years of comuite suervice. That is soo not right or actcepable.

October 5, 2007 at 6:36 pm |
  6. Kiera

I THINK THAT IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2007 at 7:11 pm |
  7. Gina

Whoever is responsible should definately be charged with a hate crime and go to jail. Also, they should be kicked out of the coast gaurd. No one deserves to be discriminated against like that.

You rock Carl Azuz!

October 5, 2007 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Alex

The Coast Guard's duty is to protect our country, a place we have prided ourselves on practicing freedom of all sorts and justice. To know that some people who are defending and working for our country are discriminate (racial, or otherwise) is appalling and, honestly, disgusting. I believe that the Coast Guard responded appropriately, but I think they should be taking even further measures to find those who committed the act.

If I knew who had committed, I would immediately speak up. The reputation of the Coast Guard (and the entire country) are at stake, and I would fight to preserve our reputation for freedom and individual expression. The U.S has always been proud of its nickname "The Melting Pot". After all, what's a stew with only one vegetable?

October 18, 2007 at 9:11 pm |