.
October 3rd, 2007

Adding entertainment to the news

Hey, Jordan Bienstock here. In addition to being the writer for CNN Student News, I'm also a pop culture junkie. Movies, music, TV, even commercials; you name it, I love it (or at least know way too much about it). So sometimes when I'm writing, I look for little ways I can work a pop culture reference into the show.

For example, this week I've referenced a famous ad campaign (Where's the Beef?), a literary classic (Around the World in 80 Days) and a 1980s movie (Planes, Trains and Automobiles).  

I never know what stories might trigger a pop culture moment. So I guess all we can do is keep an eye out for the next one.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jasmin

Thats a good Idea you should always follow your dreams even if it takes forever you should always follow your dreams.

October 4, 2007 at 9:59 am |
  2. Annemarie

I think CNN always has just enough pop culture to mkae the show interesting, without cheezy. How do you find stories that are interesting enough to weave into the show? Especially the "Before We Go" and "Off the Beaten Path" segments. I'm the writer for our school's news show, and we always have trouble finding stories. Thanks in advaced.

October 4, 2007 at 11:54 am |
  3. Jasmine

When life gives you lemons you should make lemonade. By that I mean go for what you feel! I think that it was kind of cool that a guy would run for QUEEN and on the other hand he shouldn't have done that. Like I said go for what you feel!

October 4, 2007 at 8:26 pm |
  4. Jasmine

GO QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let people tell you that you can't do something because of your race or your gender. I always say go for what you feel an do what you feel.

October 4, 2007 at 8:32 pm |
  5. Patrick

The bits of pop culture reference work well, when they match the story and they don't take away from the news. Some stories are too "hard news" to put references in them. The "bob costas/chris berman" effect of anchor lead-ins is now creeping in to regular news.

The "around the world in 80 days" line was great, since it fit the story, made reference to a literary classic and the story was "good, happy" news.

Keep up the good work Jordan and I hope Carl doesn't mind your writing!

October 4, 2007 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Jasmin

Good job to the man that used body power to travel around the world.

October 5, 2007 at 9:38 am |
  7. Carl Azuz, Anchor

Nice comment, Patrick! I don't mind Jordan's writing at all; in fact, I thnk he's doing an excellent job. Before I was the show's anchor, I wrote it myself for five years, and there were a lot of things Jordan successfully picked up when he got the job. Of course, he does push my limits sometimes (see the "You Go Girl" blog entry), but all in all, I'm glad to have someone like him in the writer's seat.

October 7, 2007 at 3:31 pm |
  8. Camara-CHS

I think that adding bits of pop culture into the show makes the show more intresting to watch. I like having to think about where certain phases come from. Personally, it helps me remember the certain part of the news when I am able to relate it to something else.

October 9, 2007 at 4:03 pm |
  9. Alondra

I think you should add some entertainment to the news. Like you could put upcoming movies that are coming or video games that are coming also you could do exciting things that are going to be on tv

October 10, 2007 at 1:41 pm |
  10. Emily

Heyy yeah My favorite quote is Live your Life your own way! that includes LIving your dreams! i think it was funny and pretty kool ! so did a lot of mi classmates!

October 10, 2007 at 4:02 pm |
  11. JD

Being of the older generation, the teacher in the classroom, I do appreciate the allusions even if the students do not get it at times.

October 15, 2007 at 2:59 pm |