.
October 2nd, 2007

Queen for a Day

Ah fall...that traditional time of year when high schools around the country hold their annual homecoming game and crown their homecoming court.

But at one Missouri high school, the tradition has been turned a bit on its head. You see, a guy at the school ran, and won, the title of homecoming queen. He did it as a prank, but the school allowed it to stand, and at least one teacher says it shows students how their votes really do count. And with the presidential election coming next fall, that's an important lesson to learn.

On the other hand, was it a "total humiliation" for the school, as one critic put it? Watch the story on Wednesday's show and tell us what you think.

1. Adammax

Ok I am a sophomore high school student in Gilbert Arizona and my view of that is quite simple if he wants to run for homecoming queen he has every right -BUT- he should dress as a queen; make-up, dress, heals, and maybe a wig all according to the schools dress code and of curse the "honor" of the opening dance with the homecoming king speaking of which what I want to know is WHAT DID THE KING THINK OF IT?

October 3, 2007 at 1:05 am |
  2. Rick

I think that it's ok for him to be homecoming queen. If it doesn't bother anybody at the school I think that it shouldn't bother the faculty either or whoever does not agree with this "situation."

October 3, 2007 at 2:22 am |
  3. Kyle

Best of luck to him!

October 3, 2007 at 8:27 am |
  4. Nativity Mission Center - 7th Grade

As a class, our opinion was split over the idea of a male homecomming "queen." We understood that it was a joke and some of us understood it as a funny prank by a creative man. There was also students who felt that it must have taken courage for this man to run for a feminine position. On the other hand, some of us were uncomfortable with the idea of a male homecomming "queen" in high school. Finally, some students felt it was unfair for males to be allowed to enter the contest at all. One question we had was, did this high school have a competition for males to run in, like a homecomming king? If not, it was our opinion that having a male win the queen competition should be a reason for the school to create a competiton that men can run in and win for homecomming.

October 3, 2007 at 8:52 am |
  5. steph

I think that it is extremly funny that he actually ran but its stupid that poeple actually voted for him. it was just a joke he did not really want to be the prom queen. Plus he made a girl feel stupid for runing for prom QUEEN when she was a girl. The joke way to far and made the school seem as though it had no rules to be followed on the matter. Finally, I think that it is funny for the boy to run but it won't be funny when has to dance with the king or be the only prom queen in history to come in a tuxedo.

October 3, 2007 at 8:54 am |
  6. Coach Davis

Hi, this is Coach Davis at Central High School in Florence Alabama. We watch CNN student news everyday to start off the class period. After watching the story on the guy who ran for homecoming queen and got it, all the students wanted to reply on the blog. All the class thought since he was voted in, that it was ok and there shouldn't really be any gripes about the male student winning . This is a 7th grade civics class so we all have a true understanding of Democracy, and this was just an example of it. It is homecoming this week at Central and this story really fit into our schedule.

Thanks
    Coach Davis' 1st period class

October 3, 2007 at 9:45 am |
  7. Mr. Browder

According to my 1A Freshmen Success students (Paul would like me to add that they are highly intelligent), the results for my classroom poll concerning whether a male should be homecoming queen:

Out of 21 students:
    12 said he should be able to run
    9 said he should not have run.

Should:
    Alex-because if someone wants to be queen, then why not?
    Jenna- he ran, they voted, he won!

Should not:
    Crystal: It was stupid- he should have run for King
    Adonis: It was ignorant because it shows he has no respect for himself.

October 3, 2007 at 10:04 am |
  8. Claire

I don't think he should be able to keep his crown. Everyone took it as a joke and voted, but in the end a true winner did not apeal.

October 3, 2007 at 10:17 am |
  9. M.McClay

I showed this clip to my World Cultural Geography Honors classes today. Many of the students felt that the student had the right to run and if the students voted for him then the results should hold.

One student agreed that the student had the right to run but it really hurt the female student running for queen because she was seriously running and her competition was a jokester. If they really want role reversal that should save the crowing of the male queen for their "Powder Puff" football game. Homecoming King and Queen Crowning is a long standing tradition that many students take seriously and look forward to competing in and hopefully winning, why did this administration allow it to become "a joke"? Dealing with students they should have known this outcome was a possibility and could have been avoided.

As for the lesson learned for future voting, will students really think back and relate this homecoming queen vote to actually voting for the president?

October 3, 2007 at 11:04 am |
  10. Craig C., Mickayla S.

My friend and I think that this "Queen for a day" is a good idea. We think this because it's just like Hilary Clinton running for president. It's just different.

Glenwood R-8 Middle School
    West Plains, Missouri

October 3, 2007 at 12:06 pm |
  11. Cort

I think that lady shouldn'thave gotten all upset. It was a joke that happened to work. As for the "queen" I hope that his senior year goes great and that chick can shut her mouth.

October 3, 2007 at 12:07 pm |
  12. Katie and Brittany

Man....you are brave to go for homecoming queen. I cant believe that you would stoop to such a level.....you might need some help from your school counseler!!! and take some time from school for yourself and find the real you if you get our drift. LOL!!

Glenwood R-8

October 3, 2007 at 12:09 pm |
  13. emily and tia

I think it is funny that they let him run. Contests should not be sexiest. It should be open to all genders to run for "queen". I want to see the dance. The best to the queen and king.

8th grade of Glenwood MO

October 3, 2007 at 12:09 pm |
  14. Jodi

i think that the "queen" rocks & that it was a great joke
    but i feel sorry for the girls that took it seriously & the ones that lost

October 3, 2007 at 12:12 pm |
  15. Brianna

I think it is cool that a guy got crowned Homecoming Queen. Make it a lesson to girls! They should be running for King next year. ;-D

October 3, 2007 at 12:42 pm |
  16. Melinda

It is humorous to think that a teenage boy would become Homecoming Queen, but he should not have been permitted to compete for the title because traditionally, Homecoming Queens are females. None the less, he was elected by the student body and therefore should wear his new title proudly.

October 3, 2007 at 1:24 pm |
  17. Amaury

He should keep his crown He ran for queen it was a joke and a change we should incourage change I say, GUYS RUN FOR BEING QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2007 at 1:42 pm |
  18. Andrew

I think that is pretty cool how the teachers didnt believe in him
    and showed them that he could do it.

October 3, 2007 at 2:40 pm |
  19. Thay...FORDMUSTANG

well can a girl be voted for a king....i think it was just a joke to the school but hey y not..

October 3, 2007 at 3:01 pm |
  20. V.williams

Think its funney and intersting And it goes to show if you realy try you can do whatever you wont.

October 3, 2007 at 3:02 pm |
  21. Mr. Wilson

This story brings up many issues. Mainly whether or not schools should discriminate for ANY issue? Could a GIRL run for Homecoming KING? I think the fact it happened is a great lesson to those students–I have to believe many are NOT happy about it–but now have to live with the voting. Maybe it is another indication of how students don't take high school and high school culture all that seriously anymore. Deeper issues are just under the surface that deal with race. It was noted that the boy was white, and the queen candidate was black and you wonder how the voting broke out by race. Maybe it wasn't gender voting but race voting.

October 3, 2007 at 3:24 pm |
  22. Maryanne

If the school let him run, then it you can't take it away. The school needs to look at it's policies. I think the young gal who ran against him was very gracious and mature.

October 3, 2007 at 3:50 pm |
  23. a person

I think it was a awesome joke and it was okay if people voted for him, I also think it was fine that he broke tradition because tradition always changes he must be very popular to do that without getting teased!

October 3, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  24. Brenden

This is a very funny story. I think he should have some fun because in high school you really do not that much fun so you have to live a little. I am not making fun of teachers but they do not gets kids jokes these day.

October 3, 2007 at 4:52 pm |
  25. Nicole

i really don't think that that guy should be the queen because the word is "QUEEN" and is sort of a guy so the place is not fit for him.

October 3, 2007 at 5:01 pm |
  26. Jesse

I think that because this is a free country that he should be allowed to be homecoming queen. In fact I beleive he should be able to be homecoming queen and not have any say anything about it is a free country and it's not like it is anything bad.

October 3, 2007 at 5:32 pm |
  27. Maia CHS

I think this is just another example of how some people will vote for the most popular person. See, they didn't care that he was a boy, they probably voted for him because he was popular and they thought it would be funny. Is that how we should vote for our president? Are we going to just vote for someone because we think it'll be funny or because we like him because he likes the same things as us, or are we going to vote for someone because we think they'll make a great leader and will help make our country better? Just think about it. If we don't recognize this problem now, we will make a mistake and vote for someone who won't do that great of a job.

October 3, 2007 at 6:27 pm |
  28. charlotte

that is absolutly stupid and horrible he should not have run or even run! thanks

October 3, 2007 at 7:16 pm |
  29. JG

wow is all i have to say. i the kid wants to run. let him run, the kids should have taken it seriously and voted for who they thought was the best candidate. If he won ok fine but make him look like a queen so he can fill his title that he won. Its only fair.

October 3, 2007 at 7:21 pm |
  30. Kiera

OK, I guess if he ran for it fair and square then he can be a homecoming QUEEN, but I still think that it is TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY MESSED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2007 at 7:44 pm |
  31. Richard

What I think is that it is funny.

Even though it it was is the title for a girl every once in a while we have to have fun.

October 3, 2007 at 8:56 pm |

I think it's cool that they let him be Homecoming Queen. I think they should have called him Homecoming KING, but it's still cool. If the school allaowed it to happen, then they shouldn't be the ones complaining. it's cool he had the courage to stand up to everyone that didn't want him to be queen.

October 3, 2007 at 9:16 pm |
  33. Mrs. Coffee 9th Grade class, Columbia High in S.C.-JP

I think this is an example of the freedom to vote because anyone can run for Homecoming Queen or King, nobody ever put a rule on a single gender for that category. Also, the lady that commented on him running for Homecoming Queen is being judgemental because she ran for Homecoming Queen when she was in high school doesn't mean we still live in the same time frame as she did or she might still be in, because people think more free spirited and broadly than she did long time ago.

October 3, 2007 at 9:33 pm |
  34. Tina

If the school administration didn't really think that he would get elected, they obviously don't spend any time with their students. Of course he would be elected – DUH! I really don't see it as a huge though; a lesson was definately learned about the power of voting. In all honesty though, I think electing homecoming court is a ridiculous popularity contest in the first place, and should just be eliminated. Seriously now!

October 3, 2007 at 9:37 pm |
  35. liz

ok really thats stupid how everyone is making such a big deal out of this.. its just homcoming ..not the end of the world!! ..if people dont like it so much dont vote for him simple as that ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! really if so many of the girls who are running for homecoming queen are mad then go ahead run for king like come on!! grow up here!! its not a big of a deal its funny!

October 3, 2007 at 9:51 pm |
  36. Jenna

I think that the lady had a right to be upset. It is a big discrace to the school because "queens" should be girls and "kings" should be guys. He should have just ran for king.

October 3, 2007 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Jamie

that is just too messed up!! What does the king have to say about this??? if the guy wanted to be queen let him be queen dress and all!

October 3, 2007 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Jasmin

I think that it is okay for him to run because if they will let a girl play school football then you should let a boy run for Queen. In the future if they dont want that to happen then make it possible for a King and a Queen to be able to run. Thats just like saying that a woman cant run for President thats just being plan sexiest!!!!!

October 4, 2007 at 9:47 am |
  39. Mike

I think it's bizarre that a guy won homecoming queen. It ruins all the ritual we HAVE CREATED over generations. Its plain stupid. That kid must have a weird point to prove or something or another.

October 4, 2007 at 11:24 am |
  40. Gue

I think that what he did running for homecoming queen was wrong. Then shouldn't there be a homecoming king? But it is stupid for him to run even though it was just for fun only.

October 4, 2007 at 2:49 pm |
  41. ~The classizzle~

Dear cnn,
    if a guy wants to be a homecoming queen then let him be one you know..he has every right to it.
    this comes in to the topic about guys in chearleading, then why not let us play volleyball, not that i would or anything but still.
    Title nine stated that girls could play sports in public schools on a girls team, now this is just a big controversy and i think it is ridiculous.....girls play football boys cheerlead....
    what is the world in the public system of school coming too.
    so heres my point....every sport should beco-equal.girl wants to try out for a guys sport let her.....if a guy wants to try out for a girls sport let him........
    theres my point.
    thanks

the Class

October 4, 2007 at 3:48 pm |
  42. Victoria CHS

I thought it was funny in a way, to have a GUY win for homecoming QUEEN. Mrs. Coffee has a point they never had a rule for the single gender but it make sense for a guy to be homecoming king. However this has to be the most bizarre news I’ve heard involving school…so what is next a girl trying to run for homecoming king?

October 4, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  43. Eleja CHS

The queen for a day was very funny because it is not normal for a boy to be a queen for a day. I feel that it was very different to see. Also I think that a girl should have been a queen because a girl is looking forward to winning homecomming queen. As a result I think that the reason why I like that prank because it is very different and funny. Maybe we should have something like that at our school!!!!!!! A boy running for homecomming queen and a girl running for homecomming king.

I also watch another clip from cnn, it was called tiny tiny dog. That puppy was very very cute. The dog's name was boo boo and holds the Genis Record for the smallest dog. I could not believe my eyes when I saw how small she was. She was only 4 inches tall. WOW, I think that she was mixed with pameranian and chuwawa. HOW CUTE!!!!!

October 4, 2007 at 8:38 pm |
  44. Abbey

I think that it is not fair that this boy ran for homecoming queen, although he did ge tthe majority of votes from his classmates, there is a special award for the boys and the girls, and it is not fair to a girl out there who has always hoped of being prom queen to lose to a boy, who just because thought he wasn't going to win if he ran in the homecoming king election so he thought that more people would vote for him if he ran for the homecoming queen position. I think that this is not right and i dont think that this kid should get in trouble but i think that he should be pulled out of the race.

October 4, 2007 at 11:06 pm |
  45. Danielle

I think that they should let him have his fun but they should not allow it again.

October 5, 2007 at 8:22 am |
  46. Tressa and Emily

He won fair and square therefore he has every right to win yet then again we feel bad for the girls who wanted to be queen! its a one in a lifetime chance! if hes gonna be queen he should have to dress like a queen , totally play the part!

October 5, 2007 at 2:50 pm |
  47. a person

I think Mr. Wilson is looking for more reasons so he sounds smart 'cos maybe everyone just thought it would be funny if he was queen? He is insulting students unnecessarily.

October 5, 2007 at 3:42 pm |
  48. Penelope

I think it was so funny that a guy became his schools homecoming queen. I would like to see that happen again next year

October 5, 2007 at 6:20 pm |
  49. Kenneth-CHS

People are so uptight about everything nowadays. It's just something a kid did we he got bored from the same old thing his school always does. I'm sure 70% of the people so mad about it, probably did something just as stupid as he did. It's a democracy you gave people the right to run for something and have people vote, so what's the problem here.

October 5, 2007 at 6:24 pm |
  50. Cameron

I don't see why people are getting all bent out of shape about this whole guy "being the homecoming queen" thing. As annoyed as people might be to hear that it's JUST homecoming court, it IS just homecoming court. It's not like he did something horribly offensive- for a example: a bomb threat, he killed someone, etc. (you get the picture).

Come one now, all he did was run for homecoming, that it, that's all, ZIP. The school saying he's caused "total humiliation'– That's completely ridiculous, and way over the top. It sounds like the the school's administration are "drama" queens themselves. If they'd like to prevent this in the future, they should simply have a homecoming king AND queen or not allow boys to run at all.

October 6, 2007 at 11:15 am |
  51. A Reble

Jeez why are we even doing this? I think that he had a lot of courage to do that. plus, a vote is a vote. I can't get mad at him, he did'nt think he would win. How all of the co-ed sports things are getting in here is beyond me, but i should say i think every thing should be co-ed.

October 7, 2007 at 12:30 pm |
  52. Stef. P

I find it funny, but why be sexist. Now let's make girls King ^_^

October 8, 2007 at 1:10 pm |
  53. andrew z

i think that a guy shouldn't be able to run for qween because it isnt fair to the girls who actually want to win.

October 8, 2007 at 1:12 pm |
  54. ALLEN C

I THINK ITS WEIRD THAT A BOY IS A QUEEN BUT I GUESS YOU CANT REALLY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT NOW BECAUSE ITS TOO LATE.PEOPLE VOTED FOR HIM.AND HE WON.

October 8, 2007 at 1:13 pm |
  55. JAELISA

I THINK IT WAS A FUNNY LITTLE PRANK THEY PULLED, BUT IN THE END A GIRL SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE CROWN B/C THE GIRLS THAT ALL RAN EXPECTING ONE OF THEM TO WIN.
    JUST B/C OF THE FACT THAT ITS A TRADITION TO HAVE A QUEEN AND KING, NOT TWO KINGS OR TWO QUEENS, I HONESTLY DON'T THINK ITS A BIGGER ISSUE THAN THAT, IT WAS JUST A PRANK , NOT SOMETHING TO BE MADE INTO A HUGE ISSUE ABOUT SEX.

October 8, 2007 at 1:17 pm |
  56. Ted

I THINK THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE WOULD BE SO INCONSIDERATE TO OTHERS FEELINGS. MAYBE THAT GIRL ACTUALLY WANTED TO BE QUEEN BUT WAS FORCED TO PLAY THIS PRANK BY HER FRIENDS!!!!!!! THE YOUTH IN THIS COUNTRY ARE OUT OF CONTROL AND I THINK THINGS NEED TO CHANGE NOW.

October 8, 2007 at 1:17 pm |
  57. Phillip B.

I think that whether it was a joke or not, they voted him and he won. I do feel sorry for the girl who lost but, she should have tried harder.

October 8, 2007 at 1:18 pm |
  58. Flores Karen

I think it was cool. seriously, that was funny a dude running for home coming Queen. I thought it was funny. It was just a joke.

October 8, 2007 at 1:21 pm |
  59. Pao

I think that they shouldn't let him run for Queen because that is a disgrace for the school. What will the King do durring homecoming game day with a guy being a queen?

October 8, 2007 at 1:29 pm |
  60. brittany

What I think about the guy being queen for the day was very funny it was a good joke that everyone could laugh about. But at the same time I thought that they shouldn't have let him be in the running for becomeing queen,the reason why I say this because it probably was one of the girls dream to become homeing queen every since they were a 9th grader .But it was a great joke!

October 8, 2007 at 6:27 pm |
  61. Leanna

Well, me being a teenager of a democratic goverment, does not understand why people try to take advanage of things. Just because you have the right to do things dosn't mean you should. The voting was based on a popularity contest, just as our voting in the real life is. Democrats vote for democrats, republicans vote for republicans, and friends vote for friends. How about we vote for what is right for a change.

October 8, 2007 at 10:13 pm |
  62. Moises

I think that change is good but, a guy running for homecoming queen is just wrong.

October 9, 2007 at 2:18 pm |
  63. Haley

I think that he should be let prom queen. He won the votes and compained for them. So there for he earned it. If the students voted for him then they WANT him to be the prom queen. If the principle and the administrators didn't want this kind of things to happen they should have stopped him from running the first day he signed up. It may not be a traditional prom queen but it will certainly not be forgotten

October 9, 2007 at 4:02 pm |
  64. Abidemi CHS

I think it was different and very unique because they made a guy homecoming queen but it was mostly based on popularity

October 10, 2007 at 12:09 pm |
  65. Davon

He was prom queen then who was the king what did he have to say about this thats weird but cool!!!

October 10, 2007 at 1:27 pm |
  66. sayda

I think that it wasn't a humiliation to the school. because that school should be proud that they have aboy for prom queen and not assamed.

October 10, 2007 at 1:35 pm |

I think that was a awsome prank, and i also agree with the teacher it does teach them a lesson....................................................Im just suprise the students voted for him!!.............I bet its a very humerous school.............sencerly your biggest fan

October 10, 2007 at 1:37 pm |
  68. Christine A.

I DON'T THINK THAT THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! AT ALL!!!!!!!
    You would think that people would think better than that. I am very disappointed in what people are doing these days. I would think that the school would be embarrassed. I know, I know. It was a prank. And almost everyone thought it was funny. But I think that he should stay prom queen until he knows how awful it is to pretend to be a girl when you aren't.

October 10, 2007 at 1:40 pm |
  69. kristy

HI ! NO AFFENSE BUT I DISAGREE WITH CHRISTINE A. BECAUSE IT WAS HILARIOUS.I AGREE WITH ANONYMOUS. WELL YEAH ITS WIERD BUT ITS COOL, AND IT GAVE EVERY ONE A GOOD LAUGH. IM SUPRISED THE TEACHERS DIDNT PROTEST OR SOMETHING .IF I WENT TO THAT SCHOOL BEING A GIRL I WOULD PROTEST BECAUSE THAT BOY JUST STOLE A SPOT FOR A GIRL TO BE PROM QUEEN. EVEN THOUGH IM ONLY 11 I STILL THINK WHAT ITS GOING TO BE LIKE WHEN I GET TO HIGH SCHOLL AND I DEFINATELY WANT TO BE PROM QUEEN. IF A BOY TAKES MY SPOT ILL KIND OF BE HAPPY AND SAD. SAD BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE LOST BEING PROM QUEEN AND HAPPY BECAUSE ITS FUNNY ................................... SO A NOTE TO THAT BOY HOW STOLE PROM QUEEN YOU ARE SO FUNNY AND KEEP UO THE GOOD PRANKS........................ AND NOTE TO ALL THE GIRLS THAT APPLIED FOR PROM QUEEN .............GOOOD LUCK NEXT TIME.

SENCERELY YOUR BIGGEST FAN KRISTY

October 11, 2007 at 6:39 pm |
  70. Nick

I think that one of the main requirements for being a queen is being female. Therefore, he should have been told that if you wish to run, run for king. Period.

Schools have done an awesome job of teaching gender equity. Girls can do anything that boys can do. In terms of careers, etc–that's great. I am glad we are no longer limited by things like math and science being "for boys" or nursing being "for girls." However, we have taken this much, much too far.

Men and women are different!

If a boy wants to play high school volleyball, and the only team is a girls team, should he be allowed to play?

I understand this was just a prank. It just wasn't that funny.

October 12, 2007 at 6:58 am |
  71. Abbey

I think this is just another example of how some people will vote for the most popular person. See, they didn’t care that he was a boy, they probably voted for him because he was popular and they thought it would be funny. Is that how we should vote for our president? Are we going to just vote for someone because we think it’ll be funny or because we like him because he likes the same things as us, or are we going to vote for someone because we think they’ll make a great leader and will help make our country better? Just think about it. If we don’t recognize this problem now, we will make a mistake and vote for someone who won’t do that great of a job.

October 12, 2007 at 9:01 pm |
  72. Amaury

I think it is funny that they let him run. Contests should not be sexiest. It should be open to all genders to run for “queen”. I want to see the dance. The best to the queen and king.

i think that the “queen” rocks & that it was a great joke

It is humorous to think that a teenage boy would become Homecoming Queen, but and showed them that he could do it.

October 12, 2007 at 9:03 pm |
  73. Jaime

I think that being queen for a day would be awesome. My class watches CNN Student News almost every day and I love seeing all of the different stories. It is very interesting.
    If I were queen for a day, I would defenitly have a party with my friends and everybody from school would be invited..

October 18, 2007 at 10:14 am |