.
September 30th, 2007

Your Opinion: Traffic Signs

Monday's show took you to Bohmte, Germany, where traffic signs are a thing of the past.  (You can check out the video right here.)  The mayor says fewer rules would result in fewer accidents and more attention to driving; an insurance representative says that without signs, there would be more deaths and injuries.  What would your town be like without street signs?  Would you feel safer?  Would this work in large cities as well as smaller ones?  We're looking forward to your comments!

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Danny

Has to be THE single stupidest idea in the history of the world. WOULD NOT work here where I live. (Indiana)

October 1, 2007 at 4:15 am |
  2. Kim

I think the way(no street sign) propers for some particular places. For example small towns or some big cities where is little cars. But I agree with the idea fewer rules result in fewer accident. Because most people have fear of the risk. So if there are no signs and rules, people' fear is higher. So they are more attention to do something.
    Thus, my opinion is that not all places possible to drive without signs or rules.

October 1, 2007 at 9:00 am |
  3. Synergy School Social Studies Class

Our class believes that the sign idea would not work in large cities. How would they determine fault in an accident? Right of way? What about busy intersections? How could pedestrians traverse in a busy site? This could cause a significant increase in pedestrian injuries and casualties. Most of all, the fear of the drivers will eventually diminish due to the situation becoming more familiar and less special. It just shows that government unabated can make some really poor decisions.

October 1, 2007 at 9:45 am |
  4. Kayla

I think this is the stupidest idea ever. Why would you make the sidewalk and highway one? This will just result in more deaths and injuries. People will drive carelessly because there will be no signs to tell them how fast they should be going and such.

October 1, 2007 at 10:10 am |
  5. Brianna

I believe this will not cause the reaction they are trying to obtain because it will allow people to make their own rules, and many people will make stupid decisions such as speeding and reckless driving. For example, teenagers do not obey the rules to begin with, letting them make the rules is ridiculous. Also, they are putting pedestrians at risk by removing the side walks, are they trying to lower their population?

October 1, 2007 at 10:12 am |
  6. Mrs. Lund's class

Most of us think without signs, there would be more accidents. We live in the city of St. Paul, MN, and it wouldn't work, because we have so much traffic and too many people. Maybe it would work out in the country.

October 1, 2007 at 10:36 am |
  7. Karina

I think that removing traffic signs will be really bad because then people will just be rude and cause a lot of accidents.

October 1, 2007 at 11:01 am |
  8. Carolina

I think that it would not work. There would be probably more accidents. Imagine all of a sudden you are driving and you run over a person. This is not cool.

(Miami, Florida)

October 1, 2007 at 11:02 am |
  9. Andres

For me I really dont think that this is a smart thing to do. It'll be the worst thing because people would abuse the road!!!

October 1, 2007 at 11:03 am |
  10. MatiMaster

I don't it think is going to work !

October 1, 2007 at 11:05 am |
  11. Mr. R

I think that removing all traffic signs will force drivers to become more aware of their surroundings...people will have to pay attention to the other vehicles and pedestrians on the road. BUT, this will only work if people are courteous and obey the traffic laws.
    Unfortunately, this type of plan will only lead to chaos and confusion on the road.

October 1, 2007 at 11:06 am |
  12. Santy

Well I think that there would be more accidents. This is because there are people that benefit because they like to go fast and race and all that. Also because if you are late for work you're always rushing since there is no sign. We wouldn't stop because there is no red sign.

October 1, 2007 at 11:07 am |
  13. ani

I agree with Danny. This is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard. Where I live there would be a lot more people being run over. There would also be a lot more people cursing. Where I live there is a lot of traffic and a lot of people who don't like it. The fact that you have to wait to see if you let the person pass would anger people. A lot of people are distracted while driving which makes me think that there would be more accidents and people run over since this is a city people are always in a rush.

October 1, 2007 at 11:08 am |
  14. Ulises

Well I think that they should take of some of the traffic signs because if they take of all of the traffic signs, the cars will go crazy and they won't know where do they have to go. Without traffic signs the cars will get into car accidents and will go insane.

October 1, 2007 at 11:10 am |
  15. Danny

No, that is never going to work. That is REALLLLLY stupid. The reporter in the video is lucky he did not get run over!!!!

October 1, 2007 at 11:12 am |
  16. Andrew

I think no traffic signs will work in smaller towns where it is easy to drive but I think it will take some time before cities such as New York will be able to try this, but if they do decide to do it, I'm all for it.

October 1, 2007 at 11:38 am |
  17. irene

In my opinion having signs is necessary because there a lot of people out there who may need to see the signs. For example if you are visting a new country and are new to driving in a certain area you need to have sighns to know what rules to follow. Another reason why you should have signs is because there may be reckless drivers who could cause an accident by not waiting and just driving , This could be very dangerous.

October 1, 2007 at 12:23 pm |
  18. Eileen

I think it will be a better thing to take down the signs so people will learn how to communicate better.

October 1, 2007 at 1:13 pm |
  19. Nonya

I think that taking away the right of lane signs would really hurt the economy, including the people who are not willing to stop for opposite traffic.

October 1, 2007 at 1:49 pm |
  20. Tanner

I think it would be a bad idea to take all the signs down because there would be more accidents.

October 1, 2007 at 1:50 pm |
  21. don't need to know

I think taking away all the road signs would just cause more accidents and cause more anger in americans because lets face teenagers suck at driving!!!!!!

October 1, 2007 at 1:50 pm |
  22. Gabriella

How I feel about road signs is that we should have them so that people know how fast to go, when to stop, and when to go. Some sighs warn us if there is danger ahead and if we should slow down. They let us know when to pass and when not to pass. I think that fewer accidents accrue when we have road signs.

October 1, 2007 at 1:52 pm |
  23. Adrian

I think haveing no signs would be a good thing were they are having it right now it wouldnt work in America because people would be going really fast. Then there would be alot of car crashes in America but maybe not there.

October 1, 2007 at 1:52 pm |
  24. Cody

I believe that no traffic signs would be a good idea because then people would solve their own problems and they would only have themselves to blame if they made a bad decision or if they are just rushing. I think it's a good idea.

October 1, 2007 at 1:52 pm |
  25. Mr. Kennedy's Class

We think that this idea is not a good one. People in our city do not pay attention and this will cause more accidents and injuries. We think that more people should be encouraged to walk or ride bikes, but taking signs away will not make this happen.

October 1, 2007 at 3:18 pm |
  26. brit Bonney Lake High School, Bonney Lake, Washington

I believe that this is a wonderful idea for small towns
    and most places however in big cities they're should still
    be some controlled intersections such as lights
    to help traffic flow that can easily get backed up.
    I think that this idea would be a good thing to try.

October 1, 2007 at 4:08 pm |
  27. Melinda

The idea of taking away all traffic signs sounds absurb. However, I think it might work. People will have to figure out who has the right way and hopefully be more careful while driving. Road rage can be very dangerous to everybody in and out of a vehicle; this concept could possibly help.

October 1, 2007 at 4:11 pm |
  28. Sierra from Mr.VanHosen's class

I think it's a great idea. It will promote more caution for the drivers and pedestrians, making a more comfortable and safe environment. Now the downside is that patrols will be difficult because there is no sign saying "you go first" so anything could happen. I really think that New York should try this. Now noticably our accident rate is higher than what we would like which would prove problematic since more accidents could happen. It's important that out country learns how to control accidents and solve problems seeing as how most of our country does not do this enough. I also agree with Cody of how it would be their own fault for an accident not a faulting light or vandalised sign that would lead drivers astray.

October 1, 2007 at 4:36 pm |
  29. Nolin

That would definitley not be safe in our town. We live in California where there are lots of cars. Lack of signs could even cause fights. For examle, if a driver cut the other driver off, the two drivers could end up in a serious accident or even a fistfight. And if they end up in a fight, then other drivers might try to settle the dispute and a whole town could get involved in an angry mob. I think we need to keep the signs.

October 1, 2007 at 5:40 pm |
  30. Jillian

I don't know. Initially, I am very opposed. I don't think that would go over very smooth in the United States. It could get so completely dangerous in big intersections with a lot of traffic. The news report showed a country road with not much traffic at all. Of course it would not be detremental to remove the signs there. When it comes to the big cities and big intersections, however, the result would be complete chaos!

October 1, 2007 at 5:45 pm |
  31. Alexis

I think this is a good idea... It is something new to try. Traffic signs can be to cluttered and you might not be paying attention sometimes, but with taking the signs away you can figure out who goes and who doesn't. It may cause a little bit of confusion but after a while people will figure it out and know when to go and when to not at certain intersections. This might be hard... I guess we will see what happens... Please keep us posted on Student News how they are doing without it! My teacher lets us watch it everyday in class and i watch it at home to just to recap.

October 1, 2007 at 7:13 pm |
  32. MR.NATROPS FOURTH PERIOD CLASS

Taking away the street signs is what I think is ignorent, yet somewhat helpful. First of all, the ignorent part is that people wont bother looking around and possibly crash. That will get the death rate up and some padestriens will get seriously injured. It helps because it will keep the drivers and padestrians more alert and watchful.

October 1, 2007 at 7:44 pm |
  33. Madilyn

I think that this would not work were I live.I live close to a 4 way intercection that drive through alot and people dont know when to go. like some people don't even stop or some people kinda stop a little but then speed ahead. Somtimes we will wait there for a good while because people are inconciderant.Somtimes we all most get hit!!

October 1, 2007 at 8:18 pm |
  34. Rachel

I think that the city of Bohmte has a good idea going with having no street signs. The only problem is, its not going to go anywhere. As sad as it is, some people are just to ignorant and selfish to not take advantage of being on a street where nobody technically has the right of way. However, from watching the video, I think that there are way too many signs on the road for people to read. The people of Germany just have to realize that there needs to be a happy medium with how many signs are on roads, instead of nixing them altogether.

October 1, 2007 at 9:11 pm |
  35. Lauren

Living in the metropolitan area, so close to washington DC I don't think it would be a very good idea. The people in this area are too busy consentrating on where THEY need to go and feel that they deserve the "right of way". If everyone was really consentrating on their driving and keeping their eyes on the road i think that no signs would improve communication and equality. But with so many self-centered people on the roads, NO WAY!

October 1, 2007 at 9:15 pm |
  36. anshirley

i think it will be a bad idea to take of traffic lights or even signs that say you can turn on red. there would be so much more accidents we would not be safe and also can caues a lot of violence like saying oh can't you see i ways going then the people think they can do what ever they want and in someways it is to see if they know the rules, like Hannah Montana like when jackson did not do the dishes for 3 weeks so his father sayed if you are not going to listen i am just not going to wast my breathe so he didn't talk and son tryed to make his dad talk to him so he started cleaning and he even did him a cake to him he still heard him loud and clear. that is what they are trying to do. that is what there trying to do to the people

October 1, 2007 at 9:29 pm |
  37. anshirley

i think it will be a bad idea to take of trafic lights or even signs that say you can turn on red. there would be so much more accedents we would not be safe and also can caues a lot of voiunlce like saying oh can't you see i ways going then the people think they can do what ever they want and in someways it is to see if they know the rules, Like Hannah Montana like when jaskson did not do the dishes for 3 weeks so his father sayed if you are not going to listen i am just not going to wast my breathe so he didn't talk and son tryed to make his dad talk to him so he started cleaning and he even did him a cake
    to him he still heard him loud and clear . that is what they are trying to do. that is what there trying to do to the people.

October 1, 2007 at 9:42 pm |
  38. Linda

I think it also depends on civilication level local residents own. Generally speaking, busier road condition, it's more uncivilized activity happened. In that case, traffic security sense will help some. I know in some countries like London, drivers are willing to protect pedestrian and take responsible to make everyone flow. If everyone can think more for others, the proposal could be feasible in a way.

October 2, 2007 at 1:38 am |
  39. Jordan

i dont think it would work out in the united states. there are too many people that wouldnt stop or give the right of way. they would just blow through interesections and cut off other cars, just because they can. there's not enough care and responsiblity in a lot of the u.s. there would be more deaths and accidents by far.

October 2, 2007 at 8:32 pm |
  40. Austin

I think that taking down all the traffic signs will make it safer to drive in some areas that have a smaller population than in those of large populations. Out here in southwest Nebraska a lot of people don't follow traffic signs anyway so we could take them down with out too many problems. I think it is a good idea to test.

October 2, 2007 at 8:47 pm |
  41. Orrin

Taking down of road signs would probally work better in a less populated area because there is less traffic but it wouldnt work in areas where the population is greater in size.

October 2, 2007 at 9:54 pm |
  42. David

Taking down signs might cause more accidents. There are occasions when people are in a hurry so if there are no signs people will less likely to pay attention to there surroundings. But this could work in a small community because there arent very many places to go to.

October 2, 2007 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Zav

Most of you are commenting about how this wouldn't work where you live/it would never work. This is in Germany people, in the US this would never work. But in Germany it might. Lets just wait and see what happens. I'm betting on it working myself.

October 3, 2007 at 1:08 pm |
  44. Brenden Lindsay

I think this is smart because if there are drivers that do not know what they are doing then nthey should not be on the roads. I mean how do you think people on the roads die because some people cannot drive for thier life. So lets see what happens and wait.

October 3, 2007 at 4:56 pm |

I think thay should take down some of the signs, not all of them. Just take down the signs that nobody pays attention to. Taking down all of them will just give the police more work to do.

October 3, 2007 at 9:19 pm |
  46. BRANDON

I dont really know. I'll have to think so I'll get back to you!

October 3, 2007 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Megan

I think that removing traffic signs would cause more accidents. If there aren't signs people are going to think they don't have any rules to follow or pay attention to. Removing the signs here in my town might work out ok because I live in a small town, but I definately don't think it would work out in a bigger city. Overall I really don't think that removing traffic signs is a good idea.

October 3, 2007 at 11:05 pm |
  48. whit

I think if you take down the signs will work because in less populated areas there wont be as much traffic so it really doesnt matter.

October 4, 2007 at 3:31 pm |
  49. Deva

I think in Germany that they should keep the road signs up because if they dont put them up there will be more accidents and more injuries/deaths.

October 4, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  50. Amy

Oh, my, word. That is ludicrous!~ Think about all of the accidents of people who run through stop signs and yields. There would be so many more accidents than there is right now, that they would find out (after it's too late) that they were wrong. Does anybody else agree with me here?

October 4, 2007 at 6:38 pm |
  51. jd

I think that it wouldn't work because everybody would be running through stop signs and lights.

October 5, 2007 at 3:30 pm |
  52. Danielle

I think this is so unsafe. What if there is a smal kid binding down to pick up there ball in the middle of the street there is noway somone would see them.

October 5, 2007 at 6:40 pm |
  53. Lexi J.

I actually think that , that is so crazy it leaves me with less words to say about 'no signs' in Germany even though I have cousins in Germany that doesn't change what I'm saying about their rule, but somewhere deep inside my mind I know that that rule will not be SUCCSESSFUL!

October 6, 2007 at 3:14 pm |
  54. Camara-CHS

I don't think that having no traffic signs would be a smart idea. I would not feel safe knowing that if I was in a car someone could hit me because we were not able to communicate which one of us would go first. My town would be absolutely chaotic if we didn't have traffics signs. That is because I live in an area where there are many growing businesses and a big mall, and it is already bad with traffic lights already there. Not having traffic signs would most likely only work in small cities, because there is a lot more people and traffic in big cities.

October 9, 2007 at 4:14 pm |
  55. Fernando

I think that if i was the mayor to a city without traffic signs I would be outraged.I think my town or city would be in ruins.With a car over there and a car on the side walk. I think that no one would be safe. If I get crashed it would be no ones fault because there was no sign. I think no signs would be better in a town then city. Thats what I think about no traffic signs.

October 10, 2007 at 1:30 pm |
  56. ashlee

i think you should keep trafic signs in busy places but you should take down signs in not very busy places.

October 10, 2007 at 1:31 pm |
  57. Cedrick

My opinion on this article is that I don't think it is a good idea because some people might be to lazy and just drive,walk,bike,etc. without looking and it might cause some accidents.

October 10, 2007 at 1:40 pm |
  58. Kharaan W.

I don't think that no traffic signs would work in my city. I think on my streets if people saw no traffic lights they would just go crazy. I just don't think that no traffic lights would work. Its already bad enough with traffic lights.No one would know when to go and when not to go and there would probably end up being many more car accidents. Its not a great idea.

October 10, 2007 at 1:48 pm |
  59. Daescia D.

I think that it would be a bad idea if we here in Rhode Island take all traffic lights and traffic signs off the roads because here lots of people sometimes don't pay attention to the road and cause cars to crash.The traffic lights and signs help people to pay attention to the road more.

October 10, 2007 at 1:52 pm |
  60. Remis

Without signs our town would be really messed up. There are some people that could do with out them, but there are people out there that need signs

P.S If u dont chew big red then ......... u dont chew big red.

October 12, 2007 at 11:00 am |
  61. anshirley

i think it will be a bad idea to take of traffic lights or even signs that say you can turn on red. there would be so much more accidents we would not be safe and also can caues a lot of violence like saying oh can’t you see i ways going then the people think they can do what ever they want and in someways it is to see if they know the rules, like Hannah Montana like when jackson did not do the dishes for 3 weeks so his father sayed if you are not going to listen i am just not going to wast my breathe so he didn’t talk and son tryed to make his dad talk to him so he started cleaning and he even did him a cake to him he still heard him loud and clear. that is what they are trying to do. that is what there trying to do to the people

October 12, 2007 at 8:59 pm |
  62. Davy

Really, in my town, people would go CRAZY! All the people who just got their license would be testing how fast their car could go. Someone cruising in a minivan at 200mph just would happen and not work.

October 15, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  63. David

When street lights turn yellow, people try to go through them and sometimes they don't make it and they run through a red light.

October 17, 2007 at 9:36 pm |