.
September 24th, 2007

Your Opinion: Ahmadinejad at Columbia

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made quite an impression at New York's Columbia University on Monday. You can read all about it here, and it's our top story on Tuesday's CNN Student News.

His appearance at Columbia sparked protests and demonstrations outside the university. Protesters cited Ahmadinejad's views on the Holocaust, Israel, and Iran's state sponsorship of terrorism as reasons why he should not be allowed to speak. But, as a bastion of higher learning, and a place for open debate, does his visit make perfect sense? You tell us.

Posted by , ,
Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Lacey

That Mahmoud Ahmedinejad was invited to speak at Columbia is an issue that has sparked protest amongst quite a few Americans who feel shamed and angry. That is to be expected. That Nejad did not answer in full (or even half) capacity any of the questions that were put to him, surely no one expected that he would arrive ready to pour his heart out. And answering questions while saying nothing is something Americans should be used to.

However, what was new to me was the blatant and utter disrespect shown for this individual who took time to attend a University in a foreign country for some Q & A. Ahmedinejad is a President of a country, and to show such disregard for his position after inviting him to your university fills me with supreme shame. If Bollinger held such disregard for Nejad that he couldn't show common courtesy, he should not have allowed Nejad to speak at his school. His introductory speech was rude.

September 24, 2007 at 11:21 pm |
  2. lu

I think what happened today at Colombia University is a very shameful to all American Educators, and the country itself. The New York Colombia University President Lee Bollinger is very disgraceful, uneducated, impolite, and he brought us shame. The first rule of all human is never disrespect your guest/guests. If you are the one who invited them, it does not matter he/she is a dictator or some kind of a bad man/woman. Always show respect, that is how we show them we are educated and well mannered. It seem to me that Mr. Lee Bollinger and President Bush got the same kind of education. They both have very bad manner and very disgraceful to this wonderful country we love.

September 25, 2007 at 1:49 am |
  3. Queen B

We have been programmed to produce unnecessary drama in all situations. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad should not have been invited. If the only thing we could do was to insult this individual, there were other means we could have used to achieve this without bringing him over here.

September 25, 2007 at 8:07 am |
  4. devonna

I do not think he should get a say he never answers any questions!!!!!!

September 25, 2007 at 8:41 am |
  5. Brittney

In my opininon, President Ahmadinejad has a right to be here. If we as Americans and they as Iraqis, wish to have peace in Iraq and peace between our countries, then he should be able to come and voice his opinon and talk with us as Americans and he needs to talk with President Bush!

September 25, 2007 at 8:52 am |
  6. Mrs. Putnam's 1st period

He should not have been allowed to speak in the U.S.!!!!He should have stayed in Iran.

September 25, 2007 at 9:00 am |
  7. Katie

I don't think that Ahmadinejad should have been invited to speak at Columbia. He is crazy and is capable of anything. If there is a chance of us going to war with Iran, having their president come speak in the United States and causing a bit of controversy within our own people is pointless.

September 25, 2007 at 9:15 am |
  8. Sara

Dear Carl,

I think that the visit of Ahmadinejad to Columbia University was very inappropriate. For Americans to go support and listen to this man speak is not right. I don't think we should have allowed him to speak.

September 25, 2007 at 9:15 am |
  9. Samantha

In my honest opinion, I believe that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad should not have been invited or allowed to come over here and speak at one of our most prestigious colleges. Not only are his beliefs unrealistic, but we might be on the verge of war with Iran. HIm being allowed to come over here and speak is showing that we support him.

September 25, 2007 at 9:17 am |
  10. Mrs. Putnam's 2nd period

We don't understand how he can say that the Holocaust did not happen. What about the survivors that were actually there and experienced it.
    We believe that he should not have been allowed to speak at the school. All he does is spread hatred!!

September 25, 2007 at 9:57 am |
  11. girlie123

I really don't like this dude. He is like totally really stupid. I hate the fact that he's coming to our country and Bush is letting him. That's why I hate this idea.

September 25, 2007 at 10:04 am |
  12. Marissa

i think that he has the right to say whatever he wants because that is freedom of speech. We don't have to listen to him.

September 25, 2007 at 10:07 am |
  13. Jonie

I personally believe Ahmadinejad didn't know what he was talking about when he said there was no proof about the holaucaust and the only reason there aren't any gays in Iran is because they don't know what gay is. I know for a fact that they treat the women like crap. He needs to get his stuff together or stop saying anything at all.

September 25, 2007 at 10:13 am |
  14. Mrs. Franklin's civics class

Ahmadinejad took advantage of our country's freedom. If a student spoke like that in Iran, he would have been punished. Should Ahmadinejad have been tasered????:) (Just like that student in Florida...) The students feel that he should not have had the right to talk about our country in that manner.

September 25, 2007 at 10:18 am |
  15. Emily

Well I think that everybody has the right to their own opinion and here in the U.S we have this right that's called FREEDOM OF SPEECH so I think he should be able to say his opinions to the world.

September 25, 2007 at 10:18 am |
  16. Haleigh

I don't think Ahmadinejad should have been invited to Columbia; it's almost like inviting your worst enemy into your own home. There is a right of freedom of speech to Americans, but he is not an American, he is merely a visitor. I also did not like his opinion on the homosexuality of America; whether he likes it or not, that is reality and I seriously doubt that not one single man in all of Iran is homosexual. He was disrespectful to our gay community. Like I said before, he has no right to express his opinion on irrelevant things when he is not even a member of this country.

September 25, 2007 at 10:51 am |
  17. Brooke

I think that Ahmadinejad has every right to speak, and he had a very good opportunity to speak and he did. Americans have the freedom of speech, we also have the right to not listen. I'm not saying I support him, I'm just saying that we don't have to listen or believe anything he says.

September 25, 2007 at 10:55 am |
  18. Cat

I believe that he should not have been able to speok at the university. He has contributed to terrorismand denied the Holocaust. If he has broken so many laws why should he be granted the right of an American citizen? With the laws he has broken, the man should be thrown in prison let alone be granted the freedom of speech.

September 25, 2007 at 11:58 am |
  19. Joe Brown

My classmates and I think that Ahmadinejad should not have been able to speak at the University of Columbia. He seems too racist to be speaking to young college students. How can you say that the Holocaust never happend. There are too many survivors and historical documents that prove it happened. He wants to wipe out the Jews. As a university they should have disproved him and many of his opinions.

Glenwood R-8 Middle School
    West Plains MO.

September 25, 2007 at 11:59 am |
  20. Emily and Tia

Tia and I think that the university shouldn't have let him speak. They shouldn't have let him because he likes some of our rights not all of them, he needs to like all rights and laws instead of one or two. How does he not think that the Holocaust didn't happen? How does he explain what happend to all of the Jews in Germany? We think he needs to leave!

Glenwood R-8 Middle School
    West Plains MO.

September 25, 2007 at 12:01 pm |
  21. Craig and Christian

My friend and I think that Ahmadinejad should be allowed to be treated with the American laws because he isn't a American citizen. Also he should be allowed to talk to the students because he doesn't beleive in the Holocaust, especially since it really DID happen.

Glenwood R-8 Middle School
    West Plains, MO

September 25, 2007 at 12:03 pm |
  22. Current Events Class, Tecumseh High School

Justin – no dictators from another country that openly hate the U.S. should be allowed in our country to speak against us.

Rikki, Summer, and Vanessa – we completely agree.

Josh – Anyone without citizenship or a green card should not have any of the rights from our constitution.

Meagan – I completely agree with Josh.

As does Jerald.

Andrew – You wouldn't let Saddam Hussein or Osama bin Laden speak in our country so why should he?

Kacie – If we know he doesn't like us and hates us then why are we giving him a whole stage to speak against us?

Achaia – Since he is a known terrorist, don't we need to be concerned with the safety of students at Columbia University?

Lindy – Why did we let someone so ignorant into our country?

Mrs. Wilsie – I have some of the most politically balanced students in the American school system they have brilliant ideas and I am pleased to give them the opportunity to share their ideas with you.

September 25, 2007 at 12:05 pm |
  23. Mickayla

I think that Ahmadinejad should have not had the right to speak at New York's Columbia University. A person that thinks that the Holocaust never happened, must think that the world must be all about them. His visit to the university was a complete waste of time because of what he said about homosexuals. They're people too. My opinion is that the university should have disproved him to speak there. He had no right to talk about a country that he might have had no information about or he might had very little knowledge about.

September 25, 2007 at 12:09 pm |
  24. Brianna

After President Bollinger's cold welcome to Ahmadinejad at Columbia, the Iranian President seemed positively courteous in his speech and answering of student's questions. Though highly extreme in his beliefs and questionable in his attitude towards women and homosexuals, he came across as more intelligent than the media tends to portray him. Though we may not agree with all of his policies, Americans should try to look at Ahmadinejad with a less critical eye. He makes valid points regarding things like America's history of military and political dominance in the Middle East, the oppressive treatment of the Palestinians and our double standard on the production of both nuclear and biological weapons. It's also not surprising that Iran is attempting to play a role in the conflict in Iraq given it both borders the country and at one time was invaded by Iraq.

Even if the Iranian government doesn't meet our standards in democracy and human rights, it is still possible for them to have legitimate criticism of American policies.

September 25, 2007 at 12:25 pm |
  25. Melissa

I do not think that we should have given the president of a terrorist country an invitation to come to America to speak at Columbia University. I don't agree with him on saying that the Holocaust is a myth. I believe that it is true because a lot of Jews died, but some lived through it and they have told about their history. I hope his history will not be the same.

September 25, 2007 at 12:58 pm |
  26. Puzzo and Ethan

Puzzo – I think that he should not have been able to speak at Columbia. Even though America is the land of oppurtunity, he still should have came and spoken at Columbia. Getting to come inside America, critize us, and getting to do just whatever is way against his history. It is almost unconstitutonal. God Bless America.

Ethan – I think he should be able to speak freely about the war.

September 25, 2007 at 1:04 pm |
  27. Mrs. Putnam's 6th period

We do not believe that he should of spoke at the university. He speaks of hate and not peace.

September 25, 2007 at 1:55 pm |
  28. Coward

I dont really care!

September 25, 2007 at 2:11 pm |
  29. Jeffrey Auger

I teach Current Events at the Community Prep School in Colorado Springs, Colorado. My students, ages 13-19, daily view the "Student News" during my period 6 "Current Events" class. My students strongly espouse the first amendment right of Freedom of Speech. However, like shouting fire in a crowded theater, my students advocate wise and intelligent speech. They all believe Ahmadinejad is truly a politician at heart, pandering to mythological beliefs about the existence or non-existence of the Holocaust. The Holocaust was a tragedy, inflicting the death of 6 million people during World War II. However, my students advocate the freedom for Ahmadinejad to speak at the Columbia University, a bastion of free speech during the Vietnam War. However, the Columbia students, like my students, believe Ahmadinejad is a bloody idiot who recognizes that if he truly harbors nuclear weapons, they will be extinguished just like the ones in Syria last week.

Community Prep School
    Current Events
    Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903

September 25, 2007 at 3:27 pm |
  30. Kathryn

I have to agree with the protesters. Ahmadinejad should not even be in our contry, much less speaking on campus. I would be more or less a little more supportive if he gave solid evidence to his claims of "peace." Most of all I am extremely disappointed with the fact that such a political leader would even dare to *consider* comparing homosexuals in our country and theirs. It's simply infuriating that he would group all of his people to be straight without their consent. It is homophobic and completely untrue.

September 25, 2007 at 5:00 pm |
  31. Jamie

I think that yes, Ahmadinejad should have been allowed to speak at Columbia. The first reason that I think he should have been allowed is because America is a free country and even though he is not a citizen he still should be allowed to do what he wants. If people don't want him being there so badly or disagree with what he said, then they should not listen to him. They shouldn't go to Columbia. Or they could protest like they did but he has the right to do what he wants and if he wants to speak he should be allowed the oppertunity. I agree when when they didn't allow him to ground zero but that is a whole other reason.

September 25, 2007 at 6:04 pm |
  32. -R-

To insult an elected president of another country is immoral and unjustifiable. Dr. Ahmadinejad took the time to answer the student's questions at least you should have had the decency to respect him for accepting your invitation. His points about the double standards that exist in todays politics regarding Middle East are not so hard to prove (that's if you watch other news stations besides Fox, CNN,NBS,...) . His comments about women and gays in Iran are, however, to be judged by their own people. It's not like there is complete equality amongst them here. And due to the cultural differences I should agree that every society would have different standards on issues on Homosexuality. Just because our nation has accepted homosexuality (which is still a very new phenomenon) we can't force it's acceptance on other nations and societies. Still their country is one of the few countries that allows sex change operations and has allowed it for more than 40 years now. Women issues in Iran would not make sense to us if we don't study it base on their culture and their laws. If some one breaks the law in the United States the law would punish that person. The law regarding the "hijab" in their country is very clear , and hence the punishment should not be opposed. however should the law be changed or not, that's up to them to fight to change it . It's still a law passed by their elected law makers.
    The issue of Holocaust and his comments about the existence of Israel. well just watch the documentary "Operation 101", your questions would be answered.

September 25, 2007 at 6:24 pm |
  33. Patrick V.

I think that Ahmadinejad is crazy, he should never have been allowed to enter that school. How can he say the holocaust never happened when there are survivors?! It is insane that he claims to want peace but wants Israel wiped off the map. It is just pathetic that he would just asume that no one in his country was homosexual. I think the guy needs to be impeeched.

September 25, 2007 at 7:09 pm |
  34. Jacob

I agree that Ahmadinejad should not have been here. He should have been thrown out when he insulted America at his speech.What's even more appaling is that he thinks that the Holocaust never happened. That was one of the worst acts of genocide we've seen. If he took a trip to Washington D.C., went to the Holocaust museum, he would change his mind. Then again protesters would probably wouldn't let him near the city.

September 25, 2007 at 7:17 pm |
  35. ALEXANDER

He should get a life in Iran. I mean his country is making nukes! So he should not of been allowed to speak on a U.S. campus!!

September 25, 2007 at 8:31 pm |
  36. Darina

I think that having him in the country does not, and I don't believe that it should, make everyone feel as though they are in danger. I mean he did come here for the UN. Besides, I believe that the president knew exactly what it is that he was doing. Why would he put our country in danger? He wouldn't. And besides top flight security!! Along with that, him being at the college gives him a look at America, and how it is that these people think and their intelligence. If you're booing the man off the stage it shows him how it seems as though everyone has the same mentallity. And those who booed him off the stage – how would they get to know this man's mentallity on an intellectuall basis? Think about it. We don't really know this man on a real basis other than the face that he is believed to be the enemy. That's my point basically.

September 25, 2007 at 8:47 pm |
  37. ALEXANDER

I also agree with tecumseh high school!
    =) =p

September 25, 2007 at 9:00 pm |
  38. Jonathan

Personally, I believe it makes perfect sense to allow Ahmadinejad to speak at Colombia. I do not agree with what he said, but the reason of college is to broaden the minds of the students that want to learn, and from what I understand no one was forced to listen. Ahmadinejad explained his beliefs and it is up to the people to discern what is right and wrong about it.

September 25, 2007 at 9:54 pm |
  39. Elphaba

I believe that Ahamadinejad should not have been allowed to speak at Columbia University. He is a proven terrorist, and insulted part of our population in the speech he gave. Also, he has said that he would like it if Israel were "wiped off the face of the earth." In my opinion, this is a truly terrible thing to say.
    On the other hand, it was definitely the wrong thing to invite him to our country, only to insult him. Have we forgotten our diplomacy? We asked him to come here, then denied him his freedom of speech. Although he is not an American citizen, he is our guest and should be treated accordingly. No matter how evil this man may be, he is still the leader of Iran. His opinion influences millions.
    Many people have condemned him for his firm belief in the nonexistence of the Holocaust. Although I think it is wrong to insist that the Holocaust did not happen, I believe that we should not hold this against him. If he wants to go against the solid evidence, let him. It should not matter to us what he believes.Others condemn him for incorrect points in his speech. We should also take note of the many correct ones. If we wish to prevent yet another war, I believe we should not start one.

September 25, 2007 at 10:34 pm |
  40. wang

I am with Ahmadinejad, I think he was a great man. All he did was just to protect his country's people. Why do not we endure him and all he did .

September 26, 2007 at 5:00 am |
  41. alicia

I dont think that he should have been allowed in the U.S. I mean come on he hates the U.S. and we just let him in. That's very smart. He runs a country that supports terrorism and we want him to speak in the U.S.

September 26, 2007 at 10:14 am |
  42. A Rebel

I think he should speak. What we learn about is totally filtered now and I think this was a good opportunity to learn about another country. Also, people in America should be used to not geting straight answers. I think that the Holocaust did happen but I think it is good he shared his opinion with were as some AMERICAN attorney generals forget their opinions. Although his opinions are not even with mine, I do think he has a lot of courge to speak knowing that he will take all this abuse. Americans are racist, quick to judge, and totally controlled by our information, and since this is the information age and everone uses sybols like 🙂 and "lol" that our information is so bent out of shape by the time it reaches us kids that it has tought us to resent and hate other cultures. This is the generation that will bring this country down and being from that generation I have every right under the sun to know it is true.

September 26, 2007 at 11:00 am |
  43. A Schuss

I believe that inviting the president of Iran to speak at Columbia University was an opportunity to exploit the views of the Iranian dictator. Many people were against him speaking at the university but heard what he had to say. I think it is ridiculous that he denies that the Holocaust ever happened. The Holocaust was one of the most documented events in history. I also found it funny how he said that there were no such things as homosexuals like there are in America. I think that his visit was an opportunity for the public to call him out on his beliefs and if I were him I would be very upset.

September 26, 2007 at 12:11 pm |
  44. Ashlen

I think that Ahmadinejad should not be able to speak at the university because he is had said somethings that my be offensive to people, and people that go to his speach, could feel uncomfertable being there. I also don't understand why he thinks that the Holocaust is a mith because there are so many monuments, musums, and many more things that says that the holocaust is true.

September 26, 2007 at 1:18 pm |
  45. Mr. Mattox' Class

Dear CNN:

My class generally felt that Ahmadinejad should not have been aloud to speak. However, since the audience was well educated, in the end his small mindedness was made clear. He was even laughed at. Perhaps, under the right conditions, if we allow tyrants to speak, they will expose themselves for who they really are.

Mr. Mattox' Class, 8th Grade, Bear Valley Middle School

September 26, 2007 at 1:57 pm |
  46. Matt

Ahmadinejad shouldn't have been invited, and I know why he doesn't think the Holocaust is real. If the first (and real) Holocaust didn't happen, when he makes his own Holocaust (because he hates Jewish people), his will look beter.

September 26, 2007 at 2:18 pm |
  47. McCrossan Boys RanchSioux Falls School

Sioux Falls School- Believes that he should not have been allowed to speak at Columbia University yesterday do to the fact that his country is sponcering weapons to the the insergance in Iraq. The class also has stated that the Iranian leader does not believe that the Holocost took place. The class also beleive that he is not a very good leader-because his country is having a lot of problems and should assist the U.S. in the war on terrorism. The major reason that he should not have had been allowed to speak was his violations of human rights in his own country.

McCrossan Boys Ranch

September 26, 2007 at 3:17 pm |
  48. a person

I think that Ahmadinejad had a right to say those things but he was a real jerk about it and he is really selfish and cruel

September 26, 2007 at 4:04 pm |
  49. jeremy

i believe that he does have a right to say what he believes in, i am not saying he is right but i think it is always good to see all sides of everything and not just one side, so the school had every right of saying" hey come speak here." but he should have not been insulted the way he was

and if we truly want the world to be a better place everyone no matter thier views or where they come from or who they are or even the fact they dont believe in what you do

what a concept someone who doesn't believe in everything you do i mean really now if we didn't have different opinons about stuff it would get very boring and i mean very very boring

and he is not a terrorist, he is the presdient of a country that yes has terrorist in it but he is not one himself, i mean we have huge gangs in the U.S.A but that doesnt make our president a gang member now does it

and also the whole thing about not letting him into "ground zero" is very rude and i believe racist i mean just for the fact he comes from the middle east and is the president of a country and wanted to pay his respects to the loved one's we lost i mean i find that very nice that he would do that and we should have opened our arms to him

just like the saying you always hear in school "give respect get respect" maybe if we were to show some to a world leader from the part of the world we are fighting in maybe just maybe they will have a different view on all americans

thank you for reading.

September 26, 2007 at 4:51 pm |
  50. Callie

I agree with Marissa, Jamie, Ethan, Brianna, . Kudos to y'all!! I think he has the right to speak his mind, it is a free country, and even though I do not support President Bush strongly, I think his decision to let Ahmadenijad in to speak was a good one. I don't believe in war and I think since we should never have started this in the first place, he can state his opinion freely. I don't agree completely with the way he did it though. Denying the Holocaust, a proven past event and insulting America was not a good impression. I think if someone was having a war against us we would be angry and even more uptight then Iraq. But if he wants us to stop fighting and harming his country , the only way to do it is to tell his opinion withOUT unnecessary speech about why we are so mean and unfair. I believe he can criticize us constructively, but not unnecessarily. Also, when Haleigh wrote, he should never have come, it's like inviting your worst enemy to your house. I must disagree. I think inviting your worst enemy to your house would be saying that you are strong, and you don't need enemies, we can come to work in peace, and unwind our issues and disagreements.
    Most of the people who commented said it is crazy to support him. I didn't think we were supporting him, just listening to his comments.

September 26, 2007 at 5:58 pm |
  51. ana

I agree to wait what every body is saying exept the person who is fooling around with this stuff this is impotant it is not somethin to play with.

September 26, 2007 at 6:13 pm |
  52. Al

I think that Columbia University should have had a vote before he came because some people in the school might have felt uncomfortable with him coming and some might have liked it. Or, maybe they could have held the meeting somewhere else, but if you were at Columbia University and wanted to attend it, you could.

September 26, 2007 at 7:30 pm |
  53. JG

I feel that him coming into the country was a fine example of how some people are just so ignorant and unrealistic, It is insane. It honestly does not matter if he came or not. Most of us know that the holocaust happened. If some people don't know, then that shows what kind of people they are. By him coming to the university to speak it is not that huge of a problem for one reason and that is the person who introduced did not say how wonderful he was but instead said that what he was doing was wrong. By him saying that homosexuality is not taking place in Iran its like saying he is even more insane. Homosexuality is something you are born with. Just because he does not approve of it does not mean it is not there. I don't care for anything he says and by him speaking at Columbia it hardly fazes me at all beucause i know what is wrong and what is right.

September 26, 2007 at 8:21 pm |
  54. Lindsay I

I believe that it was important for Ahmadinejad to come to Columbia. It gives people a chance to draw their own conclusion about Iran instead of listening to the Bush Administration. Everyone is basing their opinions on what the government has told them, but really the government has only suspicions of Iran’s possession of nuclear weapons. The President of Columbia University wanted Ahmadinejad to come and speak, so why did he outwardly insult him in his introduction? If he said Ahmadinejad speaking would be an educational opportunity, why did he make an attempt at influencing the audience beforehand? Yes, Ahmadinejad is against homosexuality and his belief in the Holocaust’s existence is questionable, but regarding nuclear weapons, there is no reason to make Iran the enemy. The U.S. should not make Iran out to look suspect. What is the point in turning the people against a country based on non-fact?

September 26, 2007 at 9:14 pm |
  55. Stephanie

I think Ahmadinejad should not have been brought to Colombia if New York University President Lee Bollinger was only planning on bashing him. We already know his views on the Holocaust and Israel, and how our society feels about his views of the war on terrorism. Bollinger was impolite and did not treat Ahmadinejad like he should have been treated, as guest in a foreign country. I think we should have had more constructive criticism from the general public and listened to his views.

September 27, 2007 at 12:30 am |
  56. Andrew

Dear CNN,

I think that he shouldn't be allowed in America. I just can't believe what he said at the United Nations! They made a mistake letting him in Colombia University,too. How could they let them talk to those students! They did make a good choice not letting him into ground zero(9/11 crash site). His country is what caused 9/11 in the first case. They at least made one good decision. He should stay in Iran!

September 28, 2007 at 8:40 am |
  57. jeremy

So what if his country is making nukes. Guess what, we have enough to blow the world up like 20 times - not kidding. We (as in the USA) have that much. Maybe he just wants to be ready in case we launch a nuke at someone (as in him) and we only believe he is making nukes. We have very little facts saying he is making nukes at all, so the whole nuke thing should be thrown out of this debate, due to the fact we can not call someone bad for trying to get what we already have.

thank you for reading

September 28, 2007 at 9:27 am |
  58. jeremy

And his country is not the one that did the 9/11 attacks. At the current time we are invading those countries and doing a very good job at it.

Thank you for reading.

September 28, 2007 at 2:51 pm |
  59. Zach

Dear CNN,
    I think that he shouldnt be able to come into a university like that and say that he thinks that hitler never existed. If anyone thinks that hitler never existed they are just plain wacko

September 28, 2007 at 5:15 pm |
  60. chris van essen

i belive that his speech was the best and that he will make iraq better

September 28, 2007 at 5:43 pm |
  61. Sam

I don't like the fact that they let someone that did all of these terrible things into the U.S. I think the only reason they did it was to show the rest of the world how "diverse" they are. Someone as cruel as him should not be allowed to go anywhere on American soil. He is a terrible, terrible man. I would hope that he stays in his own country and gets impeached. Nobody should be able to say the things that he said about the holocaust and such. He is also a liar about nuclear weapons. Everyone knows that you have them and you just deny it and then say that the discussion is nothing anymore the day later. To quote a great line of mine, 'You're Despecable".

October 2, 2007 at 6:50 pm |
  62. Zyle

Dear CNN,

I think Ahmadinejad is shootin himself in the foot by saying the things he said in Columbia, besides, if he thinks our country is so bad, look at Iran.

October 4, 2007 at 11:35 am |
  63. Austin

I think that it was okay to allow Ahmadinejad to talk at Columbia University. This was one of the first times the American public was able to see him speak. He was trying to make a better connection with America than his country has even though some things he said he shouldn't of. He wasn’t trying to upset Americans. He was trying to promote his country.

October 9, 2007 at 9:02 pm |
  64. Ada

At first, I really wanted him to come. Maybe he would have something vital to tell us. But as it turned out, he talked about many controversial things that now many people would approve of. I don't regret letting him in Columbia. I do regret that it wasn't a more significant talk. I do think that he has the right to come here, and that Columbia can invite him.

October 10, 2007 at 11:17 pm |

What Mahmoud Ahmedinejad will have the U.S. concered for afterall Columbia has a big drug cartel and has control of the weapons flow of AK-47, RPG-7, MPK-5 just what the Iranian Pres. wants to sell to al- Qaeda, the Taliban, Hezbollah, and Hamas militants. I think when Pres. Jimmy Carter was pres. after the hostages were brought back to U.S. soil the new Pres. Reagan sohould have bombed them to bits.

February 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm |