.
August 30th, 2007

Problems viewing the program in fullscreen?

Hi everyone!  I'm Jeff DeHayes, Web Producer for CNN Student News.  "Web guy" for short.

I just want to take a moment to address your concerns regarding the inability to watch the show in fullscreen from the website.  

Right now, the only way to view the program online in fullscreen is to download/watch the podcast via iTunes.  There's no need to sign-up for anything, use an iPod or pay for anything on iTunes.  Here's what you do:

1. Install iTunes on your computer by visiting: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=179950332
  2. Search for "CNN Student News" in the iTunes store
  3. Click the CNN Student News logo when you see it in your search results
  4. Then click the "subscribe" button on our iTunes page

That's it!  Now, every time you load iTunes, the latest episode of Student News should automatically download into your iTunes player.  Click play when it's downloaded, then right click the video and choose "fullscreen".

Have you found a different solution?  Post it here!  Questions?  Ask them here!  Until next time...

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Bob

The podcast quality has been inconsistent for me over the past 3 days...not sure if it is a technical issue or a matter of inexperience using iTunes for video. Is the Classroom Edition podcasted as well? Are there any copyright issues regarding the use of podcasts of other CNN shows in my classroom?

August 31, 2007 at 9:00 am |
  2. Dee Weeks

OK – I don't have an iPod and why do I have to pay for itunes when last year we had full screen for CNN Student News. Now I have to tape. My TiVo still has CNN Student news as 3:12 am. Unfortunately, it comes on at 4:00 am. So......I have to tape the news from 3:22 am until 6:00 am to get the program. Then I have to search for the show and tape it before I go to school in the morning. If I was not committed to providing my students with this show I would give up. Also, I am always telling other teachers about how great the program is and all of its benefits. If I was just trying to get it for the first time I would probably give up easily.

When will we be able to get full screen with iPod or Itunes?

September 4, 2007 at 4:57 pm |
  3. Jeff DeHayes, Web Producer

Downloading our podcast via iTunes is totally free! I promise!

Although the version of the show that's on iTunes is called a "podcast", you don't need an iPod or personal video player to watch it. You can watch it directly in the iTunes browser/player on your computer. Instructions for getting the podcast from iTunes are in my original post, above.

Or you can download it directly from CNNStudentNews.com where it says "PODCAST", in the center column directly below the video window. It's the second box, directly below the "Record it" box. You can right-click that link and "save as" directly to your desktop. Once downloaded, you can view it with Quicktime 7.0 or better. Some configurations will allow fullscreen via this method, others won't. That's why I'm recommending iTunes for fullscreen viewing at this time. But stay tuned...

I'll pass along the TiVo issue you outlined. Thanks.

September 4, 2007 at 6:14 pm |
  4. Eric Langhorst

I use both the i-Tunes option and the download and view with Quicktime option. The option to download works well because then you have a copy of the show on your computer and if you want to show it to various classes throughout the day you don't need to have your internet open.

Thanks.

September 12, 2007 at 8:17 am |