.
August 28th, 2007

The Fast and the Furious

Hey, I'm Gerald Smith, the producer for CNN Student News, and the voice in Carl's ear during the show.

Pegged to Hulk Hogan's son's crash this week, the top story on today’s show is about the dangers that ride shotgun when teens get behind the wheel. We show a couple of video clips of ghostriding and street racing. Our intention isn’t to glorify these dangerous practices, just the opposite. We know how deadly they can be. And we’re not just saying it…check out the CDC’s statistics on teen driving.

We want to know, did the message get through? How did this play out in your classroom? Did students “get it,” or were they just jazzed to see The Fast and the Furious clips?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. deneen howard

We love you program. this article about students driving really hit home. I do wish you had last years format where I could just double-click and make the image full screen. Now I have to load it send it to I tunes and play it. It take 15 minutes or more and then I'm into my class and we miss it. thank you Deneen howard Ripley HIgh School

August 29, 2007 at 4:13 pm |
  2. Philip

Some of my male students thought it was cool but I think your point about how dangerous it is sunk in, especially with the last clip of the red pick-up going off the side of the road.

My classes (and I) enjoy the show and I appreciate having it automatically downloaded onto iTunes when I fire up my 'puter in the morning.

August 30, 2007 at 9:40 am |
  3. jermaine

Hi my name is Jermaine. I liked your post. I think it is dangerous for teenagers to be behind the wheel because most teenagers get killed that way. Some get seriously injured and some could get brain damage. Do you think teenagers should be behind the wheel?

September 13, 2007 at 11:19 am |
  4. stacy

Hi Im Stacy and I looked at the fast and the furious and I think It Is true that people should not do that. Im prety shur that a lot of people have goten hurt doing that.I wonder have you ever seen sombody ghostride or streat race?

September 13, 2007 at 11:20 am |
  5. Jesse

Hi Mr.Z. Have you seen any of the fast driving?Have you drove fast when you where a teenager? I like the post you did. I will try to commint you again some time.

September 13, 2007 at 11:20 am |
  6. cassidy

I was really scared when Nick Hogan crashed. Did he make it out ? Is he ok? I am going to drive when i am old enough to drive. I was really scared for my cousin when he started driving . I thought he would crash but he hasn't crashed since he started driving.
    Comment me on my blog. Bye

September 14, 2007 at 11:22 am |
  7. Chloe

Hi!!! I think it's true that teenagers shouldn't be behind the wheel. Because teenagers have been either injured or killed because they are not following the rules and speeding and it's very dangerous. Do you think that teenagers should have the experience of driving yet or do you think that they should learn more about the safetys of driving?

September 14, 2007 at 11:30 am |