.
August 23rd, 2007

Guilty as Charged

Yeah, I stumbled.  It happens.  And though it's not something to brag about, I know it'll happen again.

Every once in awhile, I'll slip up on camera or sneeze or suddenly lose management of the English language.  Last night's ‘First Up' script read, "Mexico's president says the damage in the Yucatan isn't as bad as he'd expected."  And I was all right until about halfway through, at the "isn't as bad" part, when I had a reading malfunction.

Fortunately, this one was pretty subtle; I don't think our news director even noticed.  And if he did, he was probably thinking, "Just keep going, man – my pizza's getting cold."

You've no doubt seen other folks slip up on air or call someone the wrong name - once, my cell phone started ringing (which reminds me:  If any of my friends are reading this, don't call between 8 and 10 p.m.).  Mistakes are all part of the fun, and fortunately for me, so are retakes.

Unless they're kind-of subtle:  In that case, we'll leave ‘em in for you to catch.  But my phone's going on silent.

Filed under: Behind the scenes
  1. Ana

Hi, Carl,

I'm glad to express my gratitude to your program here.
    Actually, I am from Taiwan.
    About three years ago, I found CNN Student News by chance.
    Since then, I have watched it and learned a lot. My English improves!
    As a English-major student, I really appreciate your effort to deliver the news.

Best,
    Ana

August 24, 2007 at 3:39 am |
  2. Drena Hollingsworth

Don't worry, Carl! It just shows you are human. Keep up the good work!

All the best, Drena

August 24, 2007 at 3:49 pm |
  3. The Hien

Hey Carl,

You know what... You are my favorite on the CNNstudentNews. I knew about CNNStudent News 2 years ago, and I got addicted to it. I found that you are the speaker that I could understand mostly what you said (I'm from Vietnam currently living in Singapore!). WHen there was a transcript published online, I would both read and listen over and over again everyday to learn the way you spoke... Consequently, my American friends said my English improved amazingly, and some local friends said my reading book was like a news reporter. LOL!!!

Let me tell you what... Monica Loyd is also a great speaker, but I think she speaks pretty fast, I am trying to follow her speaking-speed now. So I wanna know whether she is assigned to report longer news as she can finish in the time-limit ?

I really like the way you express your feeling during speaking (sometimes it sounds exciting and interesting), I am wondering whether you trained to speak that way or you just made it up as reporting the news? It's great, anyway!

I think I have to get on this StudentNews to read your blog everyday! It's so funny when you talked about the phone ringing and it caused some of you guys the slip-up and calling someone wrong name.

Keep it up, Carl! Talk to you again later!

A fan of yours,
    The Hien

August 24, 2007 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Wayno

The best slip up on camera was when Carol Lebeau of the NBC affiliate in San Diego (KNSD), followed a segment where people smell other people's odors just to make sure a product is working. She lost it. She giggled on camera for about 30 seconds. Queue commercial! They came back from the break, and she laughed hysterically for about 20 seconds, before regaining composure. Hope you never have to follow a segue like that!

Wayno
    Tucson, Az

August 26, 2007 at 7:17 pm |
  5. Wayno

I listened to the broadcast - I archive them onto DVD's. Yup very subtle. Keep up the good work. Any chance they'd bring back the closed captioning? It is nice for us hearing impaired/deaf folks. This was dis-continued abruptly, approx. April, 2005.

Wayno
    Tucson, Az.

August 27, 2007 at 1:54 am |
  6. Amy

Hey! Don't worry about it. I have done news reports for my school, and when it said "The Virginia opossom", I said "The Virgin opossum." That's way worse! Everyone cracked up. Making mistakes is just going to happen every once in a while!

August 31, 2007 at 5:10 pm |