.
August 22nd, 2007

Speaking of Careers...

To say that I'm a bit of a talker is a bit of an understatement. My older sister says all I did for the first year of my life was scream. After that, she says, I learned to talk and haven't shut up since. That's not entirely a bad thing: I'm now blessed with a job that requires me to talk.

One of the questions I'm asked most when I speak to students is what subject was my best in school. The talking usually prevented this from being "conduct." But when I started writing my excess words down, I noticed my English grades going up, and that encouraged me to write. But I never could've guessed that the work I excelled at on high school and college research papers would later help me in my career. From writing brief headlines that appeared on pagers (remember those?) to anchor scripts for CNN International, I found my strongest school subject becoming my greatest workplace asset.

Whatever you're good at – whichever subjects you find inspirational – can truly help you down the road. Sure, the tests you pass or the notes you play or the sketches you draw may only seem like schoolwork now. But if you love something, don't think it ends when the semester does. And if you happen to be a prolific pontificator (like yours truly), consider writing when you're not talking. You never know when you'll find yourself doing both for a living.

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (One Response)
  1. Patrick Wilson

Carl and the CNN staff,

Thanks for keeping CNN Student News going. I'v been teaching Video Journalism to high schoolers for 5 years. We use some of the CNN curriculum developed with Apple. Teaching my students to CARE about the world around them and be able to decide what is REAL news and what is not is one of our biggest tasks.

Keep up the good work.

Patrick Wilson
    Fresno, CA

August 22, 2007 at 9:22 pm |